This recipe is inspired by Chef Rick Bayless who specializes in gourmet Mexican foods. It’s yummy!
I never had warm avocado before, have you?
Get the rest of the meal ready before you finish the grilling on this one. Enjoy something different on the grill this year.
Grilled Avocados with Blistered Tomato Salsa
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus more for the tomatoes
1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lime juice
Fine sea salt
Coarsely-ground black pepper
18 grape tomatoes or small cherry tomatoes, skewered
2 serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons coarsely-chopped cilantro leaves
Sour cream (optional)
Prepare the grill for direct grilling over a medium-hot fire
- • Using a garlic press, crush the garlic into a medium bowl. Add the oil and lime juice and whisk together. Halve and pit the avocados. Brush some of the oil mixture onto each half without letting any puddle in the hole where the pit was (we don’t want it dripping into the grill and causing flare-ups). Reserve the remaining oil and lime juice. Season the avocados liberally with salt and pepper.
- • Drizzle the skewered tomatoes with additional olive oil. Season with salt.
- • Place the avocados on the grill cut-side-down. Add the tomatoes alongside. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes, turning the tomatoes once. The avocados should be nicely marked and the skin on the tomatoes should be blistered. Remove everything from the grill.
- • Cut the tomatoes in halves or quarters. Add them to the liquid in the bowl. Fold in the chiles and cilantro to complete the blistered tomato salsa.
- • Spoon some of the salsa mixture into each avocado half and finish with a little salt. Garnish with dollops of sour cream if desired. Serve warm.