If potato pancakes come to mind, you’re on the right track, except for the lack of potatos and flour! This is a gluten free recipe and low-starch too.
The trick, as anyone latke fan will tell you, is to get the moisture out of the veggies before you fry them so they can get crispy. Don’t heat the oil too high, but get it hot without smoking.
Play with the ratios and add or subtract eggs as needed, as well as cinnamon (my favorite), or curry powder, chives, oregano, hot sauce or whatever you want. If you make them just from zucchini, they’re sweet, so try a little applesauce on the side and some Creme Fraiche if you can handle dairy.
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots and/or zucchini (mix or cook separately)
- 1 pastured egg
- Salt and Pepper (fresh cracked pepper is so much better!)
- Several tablespoons oil such as coconut oil or ghee
- • Wrap the grated veggies in a thin dish towel and squeeze to remove water
- • Mix egg and vegetables, salt and pepper, optional seasonings
- • Take a small handful, form to a slightly flat ball and add to hot oil
- • Press gently with a fork to flatten more. Keep them about 3 inches big
- • Cook 4 to 5 minutes per side
- • Drain on paper towel and eat while hot. Or keep warm in a low oven and make another batch for someone else to eat!
- • Serves one or two
- • Extras: Add a little almond flour or coconut flour if you like, and increase or decrease the size of your morsels. Serve with sausage and eggs, or with a dinner entree such as roast chicken. Or just eat them at the stove with some bacon!