How Roundup is linked to Celiac Disease and Autism is a much-debated issue. Dr. Seneff of MIT asserts a proven connection between Celiac, Autism and Roundup.
Is Roundup (and our processed food diet) responsible for our escalating health problems? The most commonly used herbicide in America, many foods are now genetically engineered to better “tolerate” heavy doses of Roundup.
I spoke at length with Dr. Stephanie Seneff, a Senior Research Scientist at MIT studying health and Roundup. Here’s our recorded interview – fascinating stuff!
Dr. Seneff observed that rates of Celiac and Autism mirror the rise in use of Glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup. Using her background in Biology and Computational Models, Stephanie studied and published evidence for causative links between Glyphosate, Celiac and Autism.
How Roundup affects Mom and Baby
Cytochrome P450 enzymes – critically important to liver detoxification pathways – are inhibited by Glyphosate, rendering babies unable to detoxify if Mom was eating non-organic foods treated with Roundup.
Getting the pre-natal diet right includes adequate amounts of Vitamins A, D and K2, and organic foods before and after birth.
Seed Desiccation, Roundup and Gluten Intolerance
The bad news: non-organic wheat is treated with Roundup during growth.
The really bad news: Roundup is sprayed heavily on wheat before harvest, and is not washed off. It kills the plant, making it easier to harvest the seed heads and then plow under. Dead and desiccated seed-heads drop their grain easier. You can spot these bright yellow fields in wheat country.
So, a slight increase in profits, and a huge dose of Roundup on every non-organic wheat and flour product in America. Whoa!
Dr. Seneff (and others) propose that Roundup damaged villi heighten our immune response to this highly toxic wheat. Leaky Gut is a key to autoimmune reactions. I ask my clients to avoid grains, but certainly to avoid non-organic or GMO grains. My DVD “The Diet For Human Beings” explains more.
How Roundup is linked to Celiac Disease and Autism
- If Mother has not been eating organically, she and the fetus are exposed to Roundup. Babies can be born with a defect in their ability to produce and distribute sulfate, a key in the Cytochrome P450 pathway. With P450 enzymes not working properly, hundreds of detox and transport systems are inhibited, including the aromatase pathway critical to hormone metabolism. This causes disturbances in hormones and in detoxification.
- Cytochrome P450 enzymes (CYP’s) also act on sterols to make bile acids which are sulfated and sent to the gut via the stomach. Glyphosate disrupts bile flow and therefore the sulfated sterols fail to get distributed. This affects the production and use of cholesterol all through the body. (And many hormones are made from cholesterol).
- Disruption in bile acids also blocks the use of minerals in the body.
- Glyphosate has effects on the gut villi, causing inflammation and the potential for leaky gut. An inflamed, disturbed gut is more prone to create antibodies to non-evolutionary foods such as GMO corn, hybridized wheat, and others. Autistics usually have a wide variety of intestinal problems including food allergies, Candida, and imbalances in the neurotransmitters primarily made in the gut.
- Glyphosate may interfere with the trans-glutaminase enzyme which the gut must have to properly digest and break down wheat. Without this, protein fragments remain and become a target for the immune system to attack, i.e., gluten antibodies and Celiac
- The sulfur pathway is the connection between Glyphosate exposure and Celiac Disease. According to Dr. Seneff’s research, Celiac is an indicator of Glyphosate exposure.
Sulfur, Sulfate and Sulfites
When we talk about Roundup linked to Celiac Disease and Autism and most other chronic health concerns, we look at the mineral sulfur.
Glyphosate binds sulfur. Sulfur deficiency affects multiple body systems. Without sulfur, we cannot make enough sulfate or get it properly distributed throughout the blood stream where it plays an essential role in maintaining blood flow.
Cholesterol is disturbed, particularly LDL. And cholesterol is part of the Sterol family which includes Vitamin D, DHEA and other male and female hormones. Without sulfate, it’s harder to metabolize and utilize cholesterol and Vitamin D.
Sulfate helps clear LDL plaque in the arteries.
Your cholesterol “problem” may be due to Roundup
Glutathione is a sulfur-containing molecule and may be the most
important antioxidant in the body. The immune system cannot function properly without it, nor can antioxidants such as Vitamins C and E. Patients with cancer, serious chronic illness, AIDS, Autism and over 60 other diseases may have reduced Glutathione levels. Glutathione is key in the detoxification of many toxins. I highly recommend this Glutathione in my online store. Regular inexpensive Glutathione will NOT work. It must be carefully processed to make it to the cells.
Sulfur and Glutathione are essential to clearance of mercury, for example. There is evidence that Autism (and chronic fatigue) are linked to poor mercury detoxification.
How do we get Sulfur?
1). Food sources of sulfur include the allium vegetables (garlic, onions, chives), raw milk, pastured egg yolks, seafood, cruciferous veggies, and meats. Dr. Seneff affirms that these are foods we must consume. Especially garlic!
2). The sun! Vitamin D3 taken as a supplement is not the ideal form of D. Vitamin D3 sulfate is what we make on our skin from the sun and cholesterol. D3 Sulfate is water-soluble and can be transported freely through the bloodstream. We also make cholesterol sulfate on the skin from sun exposure. Only the sun gives us these unique forms of Vitamin D Sulfate and Cholesterol Sulfate.
It really is essential to get sun on bare skin as often as possible. This is the primary genetic pathway by which we create sulfate. And yes, you can take D3 supplements too but they won’t be the sulfate form.
3). Magnesium Sulfate, known as Epsom Salt. Soaking in Epsom Salt gives us sulfate. Since I don’t generally recommend bathing in chlorinated water, especially if it’s been fluoridated, I’m doing foot baths with Epsom Salt. Add 1/2 cup Epsom Salt to warm water and soak your feet 1 to 3 times weekly. Or add the salt to your bath.
4). Here’s an excellent article on Sulfur, Garlic, Mercury, Glutathione.
What else can we do?
Eat organically, and if possible, ensure the animals you eat are fed on no-Roundup fields.
Molybdenum supplements help restore the sulfate pathway. Here’s the one I recommend on Amazon. I take small doses 3 days a week.
Learn more from Dr. Seneff
Find Dr. Seneff’s articles here. Multiple articles, Powerpoint presentations and research references on Roundup linked to Celiac and Autism await! And listen to our podcast – our talk was fun and fascinating, as well as explaining a big key to improving your life.