This is a common issue with Clients. Addressing these 4 areas helps most everyone sleep better through the night.
If you’re ready to make some changes to your daily habits, or add some proven supplement support, let’s get to work.
Is Your Sleep Environment Keeping You Awake?
- Black out the bedroom. No outside light. No lights in the room. I have a small blu blocker flashlight and night light from lowbluelights.com I use at night to get to the restroom. I slip on their Blue Blocker glasses before I exit the bedroom. ANY artificial light can block your Melatonin and prevent sleep.
- Keep it cool! We sleep better in a cool room.
- Natural fibers for the bed and bedding keep you cool and allow natural flow of Chi and electricity around your body. I sleep on Latex with a pure Cotton topper (no Nylon filling). Cotton or bamboo sheets, cotton/down/linen or wool covers.
- Is your sleep partner waking you? Consider separate beds, or separate sleeping rooms.
- Use a white noise machine if you have trouble staying asleep due to noise.
Better Breathing While Sleeping
- Eliminating most dairy (see Diet for Sleep below) will keep sinuses from clogging and reduce snoring and reflux.
- I tape my mouth every night without fail (15 years) with SomniFix tape. Gently keeps the mouth closed to stop snoring and dry mouth. Works with a CPAP machine if you haven’t been able to discontinue it. Read more here.
- Wear a nasal expander/nostril dilator.
- No pets in the bedroom, day or night (sorry)! Pet dander is allergenic. Pet noises and movement disturb us.
- Keep your chin up. Don’t let your chin sink to your chest – this obstructs your airway.
- Snoring is NOT allowed! I have several articles and Podcasts on this. PLEASE read about the damage snoring does to your health and possible ways to fix it without an invasive CPAP. Type the word “snore” in the blue Search box on the side of my website.
Diet & Lifestyle for Trouble Staying Asleep
- Falling blood sugar is a common cause of sleep disturbance. Are you eating dinner too early? This article and Podcast have details.
- Alcohol is a well-known cause of waking in the night. For many of us, even half a glass of wine causes restless sleep.
- Do you use the restroom more than once? Men – consider checking your Prostate and getting on our Prostate formula for 4 months. Women – do you have chronic UTI’s? Mannose can help, as can work with a Pelvic Floor Specialist.
- Reduce or stop all fluids 3 hours before bed to curtail restroom visits. Don’t get up right away if you wake and think “bathroom”! The urge may pass.
Tips & Supplements for Waking Up at Night
- Pharma GABA is a unique form of GABA more absorbable than other GABA. This neurotransmitter is safe and helpful for sleep and/or anxiety (day or night). One or two at bed, 1/2 – 1 if awake at 3. Try during the day as well to keep you calm. Chewable. GABA may help reduce bathroom visits too. $44.95
- Systemic Formulas N3 – Relaxa works night or day to relax the body as well as the busy mind. Safe, proven, works great for pain too. Can be combined with Pharma GABA if you wish. $26.40
- Many find Magnesium relaxing. Magnesium Bisglycinate is THE most absorbable form and won’t cause loose stools or gut cramps. Useful day or night, with or without food, unlike other Magnesium. $27.95 (more affordable than Amazon).
- Passion Flower tincture. Our #1 product for sleep, stress and anxiety. Day or night or middle of the night. Not a sedative. It simply settles you down. A wide range of dosing gives you control. $21.95
- Listen to a guided meditation to keep your mind occupied
- Get out of your head! I count backward from 1000 by 7’s or 4’s.
- Get enough exercise during the day (NOT after 5 PM) to work the body and release stress.
Avoid Melatonin if You Fall Asleep Easily
Melatonin helps you FALL asleep, not so much STAY asleep. We produce it in response to darkness (that’s why the blue light blockers and dim lights). I never suggest Melatonin to Clients unless GABA, N3 and Passion Flower are not working to help them FALL asleep.
If needed, I give Systemic Formulas DREM which does contain Melatonin along with other useful herbs for sleep.