I’m Beverly Meyer, CCN – a Certified Clinical Nutritionist in practice since the 1980’s. As a Functional Health coach, I work to help change Client’s futures.
I’m also a blogger, podcaster, patient, animal lover and life-long health researcher.
Contact me here for Consults or questions about my work and online store.
I’ve Been There, and I’ve Worked With Your Issue Too
As a dedicated patient since the early 1970’s, I know what it’s like to need answers. I’ve tried dozens of health modalities, seen many medical specialists, and traveled in three countries to get help.
I became frustrated with those trying to treat one symptom at a time. Or using ordinary lab work and standard questionaires.
I began attending health seminars all over the US, working to become my own health advocate and help my doctors focus on the cause of issues.
A Bit of my Health Background
I’ve had long-term digestive issues, immune dysfunction, constant neck pain, recurring Herpes, poor sleep and chronic anxiety. Since I was a teen…
I didn’t recognize these as symptoms and just assumed everyone felt that way. I’d been underweight all my life despite eating really well.
Board Certified in Clinical Nutrition (not Dietician, or Nutritionist degrees), by 2000 I could start to make sense of my issues.
In 2001 I realized gluten intolerance was weakening my gut and immune system.
Chronic viruses had taken over my life! I was hospitalized twice for Epstein Barr in the 1990’s for Gamma Globulin IV’s as an effective short-term support. I struggled with frequent Herpes, Shingles, EBV fatigue, Adrenal Failure, Cytomegalo Virus and Pneumonia.
I was told I would be on steroids the rest of my life after my Cortisol levels sank to 1/10th of normal in the early 1990’s, but I never took them. I figured how to help my body without them.
It’s my great pleasure to tell you on this blog and podcasts what I’ve learned about myself and 100’s of Clients. Maybe it will be of help to you.
Diagnosed with Primary Immunodeficiency
I discovered my Primary Immune Deficiency (CVID) in 2017. It’s a rare genetic disorder and the missing piece I sought for 50 years. After months of research on malabsorption and the immune system I had two Immunologists confirm my research and labs. I now get weekly treatments (forever) that have changed my life.
I was Board Certified as a CCN (Clinical Nutritionist) in 1989 by the elite IAACN Association of Clinical Nutritionists. I was already in practice, had multiple testimonials and passed their rigorous coursework and exam so I could be certified without a medical degree. After 1990 all CCN’s with this organization must have full Masters in Health or medical degrees. (Not simple Online Coursework).
Clinical Nutritionists are not nutritionists or dietitians. Our specialties include sophisticated lab testing and interpretation, the use of highest grade professional supplements (there IS a difference) and working to find causes of body dysfunction rather than just symptomatic support.
We call this Functional Health, Functional Medicine.
Here is a greatly abbreviated list of coursework, mentoring and training:
- With the IAACN, 3 – 4 day annual seminars on the clinical and nutritional aspects of the topic of the year — Women’s and Men’s Hormones; Digestion, Absorption & Elimination Pathways; Infection Testing and Management; Carbohydrates & Blood Sugar Control; Dietary Interventions for Inflammatory Disorders; Pain, Fibromyalgia and Neuroendocrine Pathways of Synthetic and Natural Pain Mgt.; Toxicity – Testing and Safe Removal; the Immune System and Sleep, Exercise & Genetics. And many more, beginning in 1989.
- Annually 1, 2, 3 or 4 Day Seminars with top Professional Grade Supplement Companies, in venues around the US: Apex Energetics; Systemic Formulas; Biotics Research; Premier Research Laboratories; Allergy Research Corporation; Supreme Nutrition; and more. 1984 to present
- Annual conferences with noted physicians for training on: Lab Work Testing, Values and Interpretation; Diet Modifications in Chronic Illness; Assessing pH and other in-house Lab Values; Autonomic Reflex Testing; Clinical Kinesiology; Optimizing New Client Intake Information; Determining Causal Chain for health areas to support first; Hormone Salivary Testing Panels & Interpretation, and more.
In Practice Since 1985
In my Diet & Health Center of San Antonio, my approach is to first suggest REMOVING things causing the body stress or harm, such as sugars, toxic foods, excess or inadequate exercise, excess or inappropriate supplements or prescriptions, poor sleeping environment and more. Once diet and lifestyle changes are in place, I can see what labs are needed and what supplements might be useful for that person’s health priorities. More on my Practice Philosophy is on my Consults page.
Awards & Honors
“Outstanding Contribution as a Wellness Facilitator” for the Southern Region of the United States from Systemic Formulas of Utah. For 1997 and again in 1998.
“Top 5 Science-Oriented Paleo Blogger”, Paleo Magazine, Best of 2014. Nominated with Mark Sisson, Chris Kresser, The Paleo Mom and others. A “Reader’s Choice” honor from a nationally popular magazine.
“Top 5 Science-Oriented Paleo Blogger”, Paleo Magazine. Best of 2015. A “Reader’s Choice” honor.
“Top 5 General Health/Wellness Blogger” Best of 2015 nominee by Paleo Magazine readers.
“Top 5 Science-Centered Paleo Podcast” Best of 2015 nominee by Paleo Magazine readers.
- 1999 Guest Lecturer, Baylor Medical School, Houston Texas, on Broadening the Scope of Your Medical Training
- Paleo FX 2014 Symposium: Presentation on Anxiety. April 13, 2014. Austin, Texas
- 210 Cross Fit: Featured Speaker for Paleo Diet and Lifestyle Challenge. October 5, 2013. San Antonio, Texas
- Paleo FX 2013 Symposium: “Women’s Hormones and the Paleo Diet” MasterMind Panel. March 29, 2013. Austin, Texas
- Paleo Fx 2013 Symposium: “Improving Lab Results on a Paleo Diet” MasterMind Panel. March 29, 2013. Austin, Texas
- Paleo FX 2012 Symposium: “Ancestral Wellness for the Metabolically Challenged” MasterMind Panel. March 17, 2012. Austin, Texas
- Paleo FX 2012 Symposium: “Bloodwork, Body Composition and Hormone Analysis” MasterMind Panel. March 17, 2012. Austin, Texas
- San Antonio NEISD Continuing Ed classes 2012 – 2018
- “Overcoming Thyroid and Adrenal Problems”: JK Fitness, November 2019, San Antonio, Texas
“Relieving Anxiety: Using Paleo Principles to Unlock Emotional Freedom” – Lecture at Paleo f(x) 2014, Austin Texas
Guest Appearances on Other’s Podcasts
- Mark Sisson’s Primal Blueprint Podcast host Elle Russ spoke with me about Vitamin K2 in this 9/30/16 interview.
- Robb Wolf had me on his wonderful podcast, talking about Vitamin K2, anxiety and gluten’s impact on the brain. Listen in to us from this 3/02/16 interview
- Melissa Curtis of “Fat To Fit: My Quest” interviews me on health problems that stop weight loss 10/12/14
- Evan Brand of “Not Just Paleo” interviews me on Facial Structure, Sleep and Anxiety. 12/16/2013
- Wendy Myers of “Live to 110” interviews me on Optimizing Your Feel-Good Brain Chemicals. 7/23/2013.
- Jimmy Moore of “Livin’ La Vida Low Carb” interviews me on Resolving Anxiety with the Paleo Diet. 7/03/2013.
- Jordan Reasoner and Steve Wright of “SCD Lifestyle” interview me on How To Fine-Tune the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. 5/16/2013.
- Evan Brand of “Not Just Paleo” interviews me on Is Your Brain Broken? 4/22/2013
- Sarah Fragoso and Jason Seib of “Everyday Paleo Lifestyle” interview me on Helping The Thyroid and Adrenals. 2/12/2013
Reviews of my DVD/Video “The Diet For Human Beings“
The Weston A. Price Foundation gives a “Thumbs Up” for my Weston Price-friendly point of views on foods other than the Standard American Diet.
Caitlin Weeks of the Grass Fed Girl answers 5 common questions about “The Diet For Human Beings” in a positive review.
Carrie Forrest, MPH Nutrition of Clean Eating Kitchen reviews the DVD and acknowledges my science-based approach to food and health support.
Classes I Have Taught
I’ve taught dozens of Classes at my Diet and Health Center, NE Independent School District San Antonio Continuing Ed, at multiple Crossfits and more. Topics include:
The Thyroid/Adrenal Connection; The Diet For Human Beings; The Paleo Diet and Weight Loss; Planning and Preparing Multiple Paleo-Inspired Meals at One Time; Anxiety and Gluten; Resolving Insomnia; The Paleo Diet for Moms and Kids; Triglycerides, Glucose and Diabetes; Help For the Thyroid and Adrenals; Natural Health Care For Pets; Gluten Free Foods; Women in Their 40’s and 50’s: Anti-Aging, Osteoporosis and More; From Fatigue to Energy; Correctly Choosing Vitamins, Herbs and Natural Therapies; Breakfast, Snacks and Smoothies; Stress Management in a Stressful World; Preventing and Reversing Chronic Health Disorders; and more.
St. Mary’s Hall high school, San Antonio, Summa Cum Laude. Awards for Math and for Physics (the first ever granted), 1969. Duke University Cum Laude BA Economics 1973. Emory University Summa Cum Laude MBA Finance, 1977.
In 1978, at the age 26, I opened the DinnerWareHouse – the largest dinnerware and cookware store in the Southeast. It was a big success, but exhausting. With 9 employees and a 3200 foot store, I wasn’t eating or sleeping well.
Still not facing the truth about my health, I sold DinnerWareHouse in 1983 and opened a chain of retail stores that became a franchise. Featured in: Glamour, Inc., Money and Entrepreneur magazines. Atlanta Chamber of Commerce, runner-up Small Business of the Year 1985.
I began practicing nutrition in 1985 and was Certified as a Clinical Nutritionist in 1989. I opened the Diet & Health Center in 1989.
Consults with Beverly Meyer
I offer support locally and by phone worldwide. For more info, see this page. Thanks!