Anxiety, athletic performance, children’s teeth and facial structure, sleep apnea, asthma and happiness are all connected with proper breathing – through the nose, not the mouth. My guest Patrick McKeown is the current world authority on proper breathing…
Russian professor Dr. Buteyko treated 1000’s of cases of asthma until the 1990’s. His breakthrough work has been tested and taught throughout the world, and is used by professional athletes, asthmatics, and those who struggle with sleep apnea, snoring and anxiety.
Patrick McKeown learned Buteyko Breathing Method to treat his asthma many years ago, and has been writing about and teaching it internationally ever since. We talk here about many things:
- The important role of Nitric Oxide in health, and how correct, slow, Nasal Breathing enhances it
- How to accumulate more CO2 blood gas and why it causes oxygen to release into the bloodstream
- How fast, heavy breathing keeps us in the Sympathetic Nervous System, triggering anxiety, insomnia, coughing and more
- How children become mouth breathers and what to do about it
- The role of posture in Nitric Oxide release, restricted airway disorders, and physical performance
- And much, much more!
I share some of my experiences with learning to breathe smaller breaths through my nose, and why I listen to Patrick’s wonderful CD twice daily. It’s a relaxing and calm-breathing exercise that helps train us to focus on the breath instead of our racing thoughts.
Patrick McKeown’s books include: Anxiety Free; Sleep With Buteyko; ABC to be Asthma Free; and Asthma Free Naturally. The Anxiety book and Sleep book include the CD – worth the cost of the book! Buy them at ButeykoClinic.com or on Amazon (except the Sleep book is not available there). I also sell them in my clinic.
Enjoy listening to a life-changing Interview!
Related blog posts and podcasts:
Facial Structure, TMJ and Whole Body Health: Podcast
What If It Really IS All In Your Head?
Sleep, Snoring and Airway Disorders
Facial Structure, Sleep and Anxiety: Evan Brand of “Not Just Paleo” interviews Beverly Meyer: Podcast
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | RSS