Denise Minger is the force behind the amazing blog RawFoodSOS (Rescuing Good Health from Bad Science). After reading her new book, I was happy to do a Death by Food Pyramid book review and an interview on my Primal Diet – Modern Health podcast.
Her detailed reviews of The China Study and the film “Forks Over Knives” have been widely praised by others, including Chris Masterjohn.
As a former raw food vegan, she brings light to food fads, shoddy science, and the Special Interests and politics that control our food supply. She scrutinizes many diets, including The Mediterranean Diet, the Paleo Diet and Veganism.
“Death By Food Pyramid” is a solid book on the origins and effects of the Eat Less Fat and More Grains dogma trumpeted since the 1920’s. The popularity of Crisco, for example, was the result of intense marketing, despite research showing these new “trans fats” weren’t all that great a replacement for the pastured lard and creamy butter we were used to.
Our topics include (and check out that last one!)
- Truth and lies surrounding cholesterol, especially the myth that “Saturated Fat Leads to Heart Disease”
- How one flawed study birthed a movement and opened the door for pharmaceuticals, Big Agra and more
- Why a diet heavy in muscle meat (steak, chops) interferes with the metabolism of toxins, but organ meats do not;
- How genetic differences in the conversion of Beta Carotene to Vitamin A can affect you (and what to do about it)
- What to do if you’re a carrier of the Apo4 gene which determines whether your cells hoard fat or burn it
- When cake, corn chips and Maraschino Cherries should be counted as fats and whole grains (according to a 1994 study by the American Dietetic Association)
Minger’s blog is full of outstanding articles on food, science, myths and more. Her fans are legion….There’s something for everyone in “Death By Food Pyramid” and in our Interview, no matter what your interests. Listen and learn from one of the top food researchers of our time. Her experiences with a raw vegan diet are just the start of a great book.
Pass this one on to your friends….