Secret Ingredient Paleo Meatballs with Gravy are meatballs with a surprise. Actually, they have two surprises as I use cauliflower instead of bread crumbs, AND it’s got a little liver in there. No one will suspect there is liver in this savory entree.
I try to eat a pound of organ meat a week, usually liver. Humans evolved eating nutrient-rich animal organs and we still require them today. Liver is our best source of true Vitamin A. Carrots only provide a precursor to Vitamin A.
I include lots of US Wellness Meat’s Liverwurst or Braunschweiger in my diet. It’s very mild and tastes like a high quality Bologna to me. They are slightly different so order both to compare. (Check out their liver, sugar free Franks and pastured lard too). You won’t be disappointed.
Secret Ingredient Paleo Meatballs with Gravy
3 lbs. pastured ground beef
1/4 lb. beef liver
1 large head cauliflower
3 cups homemade beef broth
1 TB. dried Thyme
2 tsp. good salt (I use Himalayan)
1 large onion
- Pulse the cauliflower in small batches in a food processor to resemble grains of white rice
- Empty into a large bowl and puree the liver. You can add a 1 tsp. of broth if needed.
- Add the liver, beef, thyme and salt to the cauliflower and mix well with your hands. Form into 1″ meatballs.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Put the broth and onion in a large skillet and bring to a simmer. Then slowly add the meatballs and simmer for 20 minutes. Cook in batches as required, remove to a serving bowl and keep warm.
- When finished, puree the onions and broth in a food processor. Or add to a taller saucepan and use a stick blender. Caution handling the hot broth!
- Serve with the meatballs from a pretty bowl.
- Use chicken stock if you don’t have beef. Homemade bone broth is best!
- For extra nutrition, use a little more liver and a little less ground beef. Try chopped liver instead of pureed.
- Add 1/2 a chopped red or green pepper or zucchini to the meat before forming meatballs.
- Vary the spices and herbs – try oregano, rosemary, cumin or hot sauce.