Here’s first a basic vinaigrette followed by lots of with easy variations. I use these all year round on simple steamed veggies or grilled meats. I don’t need other recipes – just add a splash of one of these flavors and you have a new dish to enjoy.
1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Pinch of sugar
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients but the olive oil. Then slowly add the oil, whisking until emulsified. Or shake the ingredients in a jar, or whirl them in a blender.
- Garlic – Add 1 teaspoon minced garlic or 1/2 clove crushed.
- Balsamic – Substitute real balsamic vinegar for the wine vinegar
- Lemon Parmesan – Use fresh lemon juice instead of vinegar; add 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan.
- Scallion – Add 3 chopped whole scallions/green onions (about 1/4 cup).
- Herb – Add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, parsley, or tarragon.
- Blue Cheese – Add 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, such as Roquefort.