I’ve studied heart disease and cholesterol science for several decades. Evidence supports that heart disease is both more complex (and simpler) than eating bacon and eggs.
Cholesterol does NOT cause heart disease. Many, many independent studies confirm this. This article explains how even the USDA agreed with this in 2015.
Heart Disease and Cholesterol Science?
Sound Bite #1). Cholesterol causes fatty deposits that clog arteries and impair blood flow, leading to a possible heart attack.
The Science: Cholesterol is part of the repair team sent to fix oxidative damage to the arteries. It is oxidation and inflammation from food, smoking, toxins and drugs that damages the arteries. Cholesterol helps heal those irritated patches.
Sound Bite #2). All cholesterol is bad and Total Cholesterol must be under 200 or 150 on labwork.
The Science: The Liver makes huge amounts of cholesterol every day, in addition to the small amounts we get from food. Since we make Testosterone, Estrogen, Progesterone, Cortisol and Vitamin D out of Cholesterol the Liver makes sure we don’t run low. Post-menopausal women may have “elevated” cholesterol if they are not eating enough saturated fat to make hormones.
Sound Bite #3). Saturated fats are dangerous.
The Science: We get saturated fats from eating animals – organ meats, animal fat, eggs and dairy. Humans have eaten these fats for a very long time. Many body systems depend on fats, including the cell membrane that surrounds and protects every cell in the body. Cholesterol is an anti-inflammatory against oxidized LDL particles.
Sound Bite #4). Vegetable oils are good.
The Science: Humans never ate factory processed oils from seeds until the 1950’s. Seed oils such as canola, sunflower and corn are extremely high in inflammatory Omega 6 fats. Better choices include nut and fruit oils such as olive, avocado, macadamia and tea seed oil (see my article on this). I eat a variety of pasture-raised ghee, lard, butter, fatty meats, pastured eggs and coconut oil with my organic olive, tea seed and avocado oils.
Is High Blood Pressure Due to Cholesterol?
Sound Bite #5). Calcium has nothing to do with heart disease.
The Science: I have many podcasts and articles on the universal deficiency of Vitamin K2 – the ancestral nutrient that keeps calcium in bones, teeth and muscles and out of arteries and joints. Dr. Weston Price discovered this fat soluble nutrient in the 1940’s and noted that the other fat soluble vitamins (A, D and E) depended on K2 to be effective.
This article and podcast on High Blood Pressure will tell you more. Without K2 (found only in pastured animal meats and fats or supplements) calcium drops out of the blood and lines the arteries. The heart MUST pump harder to get blood through these narrowed arteries.
You need K2 and in my opinion, you need it daily as we do not store it as we do the other fat soluble vitamins. Here’s a higher potency MK-7 one in my online store, or get it in its natural form (with many other amazing whole food nutrients) with Walkabout Emu Oil.
Protect your arteries, joints, kidneys and gall bladder from stones, spurs and atherosclerosis: never take Vitamin D without Vitamin K2. This D3/K2 combo is the top product in my online store and in my clinic – every client is on these, daily for life. The 5 pack is 5% cheaper.
Sound Bite #6). If you have cholesterol over 200 or LDL over 100, you may be prescribed drugs to lower your numbers (but they won’t fix the cause of the “problem” as you’ll see when you stop them). If your LDL is 200 – 800 you should be checked for genetic Familial Hypercholesterolemia.
The Science: These drugs may have severe side effects, including chronic severe muscle pain, as statins deplete vital Co Q 10 (but your doctor may “forget” to tell you this). Or you may be given Red Yeast Rice which acts about the same as statins. 240 or less is OK with me but it’s good to check your LDL small particles. This article from Chris Kresser will explain.
Help for Healthier Arteries
- Reducing inflammation is the first goal: stop sugars, especially fructose, reduce or eliminate grains, completely stop hydrogenated seed oils (found in all commercial baked goods, take-out, most restaurant foods). Stop smoking.
- Take Vitamin K2 daily to remove calcium from your arteries. Our OrthoMolecular MenaQ7PRO caps are 180 mcg., higher than most products but totally safe.
- Take Omega 3’s such as Rosita Cod Oil (in caps or liquid) or this unusual proprietary Omega 3 DHA Pro Select from OrthoMolecular daily with food. Stop Omega 6 oil “foods” such as French Fries, fast food, most commercial salad dressings, etc. Eat fatty fish such as wild salmon weekly. Our Systemic Formulas CVO Oil is thoughtfully designed for cardiovascular health, with Krill Oil, Omega 3’s, Phospholipids and Magnesium.
- If your cholesterol is over 250, have your Gall Bladder and Thyroid function checked. If you no longer have a Gall Bladder you need Bile support with food forever.
- Be cautious with drugs that may damage your body. Find a wellness doctor who knows the heart disease and cholesterol science.
- Take a variety of good probiotics like this unique one. They help you utilize cholesterol.
Whats the Heart Disease and Cholesterol Science on Food Cholesterol?
Cholesterol in food averages about 20% of the daily cholesterol our body needs and makes. The cholesterol we get in egg yolks, for example, tells the liver to not produce as much cholesterol. Egg yolks HAVE cholesterol but don’t RAISE cholesterol. It’s used up and made into hormones, Vitamin D and more useful nutrients.