Before buying supplements for stress and fatigue, first consider this. Two steps are required to resolve most health issues. Are you doing your share, not just hoping supplements will change your life?
These two steps are what it takes:
The Key to Resolving Most Health Issues
- First, remove those things causing the body or mind stress or harm
- Second, add foods, supplements and other support to help the body repair itself
This is the core of my practice philosophy. It’s worked for my clients for 36 years and for myself for longer than that. Let’s put this to use.
Find the Causes of Stress and Fatigue
Want to reduce overload and improve energy? What’s causing you stress and harm? Make a list! You CAN be your own best advocate. Here’s a start…
- Are you unable to sleep? Why? Are pets or partner disturbing you? Is the bed too hot (foam!) or the HVAC too noisy? Is the room dark enough so you make Melatonin instead of Cortisol?
- Are you allowing enough time to sleep? Question those “killer” beliefs that you have to work so hard and you “can catch up” by napping on the weekend. Take it from me… you’ve got a long life ahead of you. There’s no need to hurry so much and ruin your health.
- Don’t let your mind stress you out. You can control your thoughts! When you hear yourself say or think “this is killing me”or “it’s a disaster”, look closer at what’s actually true and what is your “disaster mind”. If I step back and ask myself the worst that can happen in this situation, the answer is sometimes laughable. I miss the movie? That’s it?? It’s rare that a true life or death crisis is facing you, so don’t let your mind make a crisis out of everything. It destroys your gut and hormones.
- Are you eating enough real food and eating on time? Hunger makes you anxious, restless and cranky. (I’m not a fan of Intermittent Fasting for Women. Read more about that here).
- If you can identify one stress every month as your current top stressor, make it that month’s goal to make headway on that issue. Fire, hire, move, talk truth, and choose again.
- Are you getting some exercise? I have my laptop on an empty cardboard box on my desk so I can stand, squat or pace while working. Or toss it aside and sit down. I work with a trainer 2 days a week and take my 2 charming cats for walks.
My Top 5 Supplements for Stress and Fatigue
Once you’re ready, these supplements from my clinic will actually help. I have many articles and podcasts on the thyroid and adrenals as well as the brief info below. Support these hormones rather than jolting them with caffeine and sugar…. The goal is to repair your energy, not blast it until you crash for real. I know from experience…
By far the best calming, anti-anxiety and anti-stress product I’ve ever carried. Passion Flower quiets your mind and relaxes the body. The dose is flexible – take a little or take a lot. It’s not addictive and teens can learn how to use it to keep calm and sleep better too.
This one in Glycerite lets you dose straight into your mouth anytime without water, very convenient for the car or the middle of the night. If you prefer the alcohol based tincture, we carry it too. I don’t carry the herb in capsules as you can’t choose a smaller dose and a full cap may make you sleepy. You can read more about Passion Flower for pain, insomnia and anxiety in this post and this one.
I trust Eclectic Herb products. Their production standards are superior and ethical.
N3 is a tried-and-true product from Systemic Formulas, a professionals-only supplements company founded decades ago by a Master Herbalist. I took a lot of N3 in the 80’s when I was running 3 companies and struggling with relationship issues. I still take it occasionally for pain, muscle tension, and to help me relax mentally and physically.
N3 – Relaxa has a carefully crafted combo of vitamins, aminos and herbs that make it better than any of the ingredients alone. This article on sleep mentions N3 as one of 10 natural sleep aids you can start tonight.
Passion Flower and N3 make a great team and can be bought together as my Stress & Sleep Multi Pack.
By far my favorite product for keeping your energy stable (especially good to ward off the afternoon slump), Ga – Adrenal helps manage the adrenals, whether under or overactive.
It’s fine to take long term or just when you’re fatigued and food and sleep have not revived you.
Order a saliva hormone test to check your cortisol levels and help you dose Ga- Adrenal correctly for the time of day you need it.
Adaptogens are plants that help your Pituitary and Brain handle stress without releasing so many harmful metabolites. These stress metabolites damage the nerves and hormones, especially the adrenals and Para-Sympathetic nervous system. In fact….
Accumulated stress and lack of sleep may be primary causes for most health problems
Some adaptogenic plants are well known – Ginseng and Gotu Kola for example. Premier Research Adaptogen contains entirely different herbs, roots and flowers than you may know. These are “Grade 10” herbs classified as pharmaceutical grade, the very highest in potency and freshness. Nobody does it like Premier.
Note that this product does not make you feel more energized or put you to sleep. Its actions are deeply internal to your brain, nerves and hormones. If you’re under a lot of stress, you should take this product for months at a time.
This is not your normal thyroid product. Gf-Thyroid has a unique combination of herbs, vitamins and amino acids to feed the whole gland. If your thyroid needs support and you’re not taking prescription hormone, give this a try. Go here to see the ingredient list.
You can buy Gf – Thyroid with Ga – Adrenal plus TMI (a great Iodine and thyroid metabolism support) as the Hormone Multi Pack .
Signs of low thyroid include weight gain, constipation, thinning hair and eyebrows, cool body temperature and menstrual irregularities. Blood tests for thyroid should include Hashimoto’s antibodies too.
Before you try prescription thyroid…
Try feeding your adrenal glands first, adding some Gf – Thyroid, and getting more sleep. Here’s an article on the connection between the thyroid and the adrenals, often overlooked by even the best wellness docs.
Choose to get stress under control and take more free time to read, sleep and play. It WILL pay off in reduced medical bills and better aging.